Concentration camp cemetery St. Ottilien

In April 1941, the archabbey of St. Ottilien was closed by the Gestapo and a reserve military hospital set up. When American troops reached the archabbey on 28 April 1945, it was occupied by almost 1,000 war wounded.

Just one day later, around 500 liberated concentration camp prisoners, who had been wounded during an air attack on Schwabhausen, were admitted to the hospital and accommodated there.

This photograph shows the concentration camp in the 1950's. Source: Stiftung Bayerische Gedenkstätten

As the severely ill, mainly Jewish concentration camp survivors continued to be brought to St. Ottilien, in May 1945, the American army recategorised the military hospital as a Hospital for Displaced Persons.

The patients were mainly survivors of the Landsberg/Kaufering subcamp complex as well as the sick from the liberated Dachau concentration camp and the area surrounding Landsberg am Lech.

The concentration camp cemetery is located on the outskirts of the village of St. Ottilien to the south of the railway station. Source: Stiftung Bayerische Gedenkstätten

Sixty-one former concentration camp prisoners and 15 babies that died at birth were buried in the St. Ottilien concentration camp cemetery. With the redesign of the concentration camp cemetery in 1950, the Bavarian State Compensation Office along with the Landsberg am Lech District Administration Office replaced the communal and individual graves with four memorial stones and twelve gravestones.

Some of the dead were repatriated to their home countries. Seventy three Jewish victims, most of them known by name, are today buried in the concentration camp cemetery.