Concentration camp cemetery Türkheim

The Jewish prisoners of the Kaufering VI subcamp at Türkheim were used as forced labour for the construction of workers’ accommodation south of the camp. Jewish prisoners, who died as a result of the appalling living conditions and disease, were buried in mass graves nearby.

The concentration camp cemetery is located on Dr.-Viktor-Frankl-Weg in a little wood. Source: Anton J. Brandl

After the liberation of the Kaufering VI subcamp by American soldiers, the dead were exhumed and placed in the newly created concentration camp cemetery in Türkheim to the north of the former camp area. The exact locations of the former mass graves are not known.

The concentration camp cemetery in Türkheim was officially inaugurated in September 1950. Source: Stiftung Bayerische Gedenkstätten
Between 1945 and 1948, four Jewish members of the community were buried in the concentration camp cemetery. Source: Stiftung Bayerische Gedenkstätten

According to a statement by the former chairman of the Jewish camp committee of Türkheim, 80 unidentified victims from the mass graves were reburied in the newly laid out concentration camp cemetery. By 1948, four named members of the Jewish community were also interred in the concentration camp cemetery.

In 1950, the concentration camp cemetery was laid out in its current form. At the centre of the site is a seven metre high domed memorial temple. A Star of David and a Cross were placed above the porch roof. Inside there is an altar table that has an inscription to left and right around it:

This time consecrated pious atonement so that we may walk anew in righteousness.

A memorial stone, a commemorative plaque and four individual grave stones are in remembrance of the victims elsewhere in the cemetery.

This cemetery has also suffered from vandalism. In 1990 three young men were sentenced, after they had devastated the site. In 2018 the cross and Star of David were stolen from the entrance and in 2019 and 2020 unknown persons smashed the glass panes of the Temple. Source: Mindelheimer Zeitung