Saarburg barracks

One of the first displaced persons (IDP) camps was set up in the Saarburg barracks in Landsberg am Lech. The camp was under the command of Colonel Irving Heymont. As time passed, the Saarburg barracks became one of the largest and most influential Jewish DP camps in Germany. In December 1945 approximately 5,000 DP were living in the camp.

On 10 September 1989 a commemorative plaque was installed by Irving Heymont (3rd from left) in a ceremony at the entrance to the Saarburg barracks. After the building was demolished, the commemorative plaque was moved and is now in Irving-Heymont-Strasse on the site of the former DP camp. Source: ERSETZEN????

In November 1945 the United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Administration (UNRRA) took over the running of the camp.

Beyond the confines of the Saarburg barracks, DP were also living in Landsberg and the surrounding area in private apartments and houses. At the end of 1949, there were still approximately 1,800 inhabitants in the Saarburg barracks DP camp, which was closed in November 1950. Those remaining moved into the Föhrenwald DP camp that existed as the last camp of this type until 1957.

In memory of the displaced persons who were housed on the site of the former Saarburg barracks after the Second World War, a memorial plaque was inaugurated in Landsberg in 2018 in the presence of the former Mayor Franz Xaver Rößle and the then Mayor Mathias Neuner. Source: Julian Leitenstorfer