Concentration camp grave and memorial site Seestall

The Kaufering VIII subcamp appeared at the beginning of September 1944 on a meadow area a few hundred metres west of Seestall. The dead from the camp had to be buried by fellow prisoners in a wooded area by the river Lech. According to documentation by the district administration office responsible from immediately after the war, 22 Jewish victims are involved.

The concentration camp burial and memorial site in 1951. Source: Stiftung Bayerische Gedenkstätten

The first provisional memorial on this site was erected by the Landsberg district construction department. A simple, wooden post with a Star of David marked the grave site.

Two information boards, which were erected on the initiative of the citizens' forum "Buntes Fuchstal", have been providing information about the history of the village since 2020. Quelle: Archiv Alexandra Senfft

In 1950, the Bavarian State Compensation Office began the construction of a concentration camp cemetery. Instead of the wooden post, there is today a hexagonal memorial of white shell limestone that is surrounded by a herbal bed in the shape of a Star of David. Like the earlier wooden post, the memorial also bears the inscription.


The photograph shows the first concentration camp burial and memorial site around 1950. Source: Stiftung Bayerische Gedenkstätten