Kaufering XI (near Landsberg)

On 17 November, the first prisoner transport with over 1,000 people arrived at the Kaufering XI concentration subcamp. By the end of the month, the SS had transferred a total of approx. 1,600 male and 1,200 female concentration camp prisoners.

The aerial photograph shows the former camp site today. Source: Stiftung Bayerische Gedenkstätten/ Rainer Viertlböck
The aerial photograph shows Kaufering XI camp in April 1945. Source: Carls Luftbild Datenbank

Subcamp XI was located in the immediate vicinity of the construction projects “Weingut II” and “Diana II”, where concentration camp prisoners were engaged in forced labour. In spring 1945, typhus broke out in the camp, which is why it was temporarily put into quarantine. According to an SS guard, the concentration camp subcamp was evacuated towards Allach concentration subcamp near Munich on 24 April 1945.

A meadow now lies where the camp premises used to stand. Remains of the foundations of XI camp have been preserved. Since 1994, a memorial stone, erected as part of a student project at Ignaz-Kögler Grammar School in Landsberg am Lech, commemorates Kaufering XI concentration subcamp.

On the former grounds of Kaufering XI camp the memorial stone commemorates the suffering of the concentration camp prisoners. Source: Stiftung Bayerische Gedenkstätte/Rainer Viertlböck

For more in-depth insights into the Landsberg/Kaufering subcamp complex, click here to go to the overview page.